Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elbert and Roxie Mae

Elbert and Roxie Mae Tubbs' 50th Wedding Anniversary Photo taken in 1961


The names on this headstone are those of my father's parents, Elbert Marion Tubbs and Roxie Mae Parsons Tubbs. Roxie Mae married Elbert when she was very young. Elbert already had three children by his first wife, Josie Ann Ensley Tubbs. Elbert and Josie were married on Christmas Day, 1901 and Josie died in 1909. Roxie Mae married Elbert in 1911, and became "mother" to 14 children, including her 11 biological children with Elbert, and I have heard many times how she loved Josie's children as if they were her own.

Roxie Mae died the day after I was born, and I often wondered how stressful all of that must have been for my family. Imagine my surprise when one of my sisters told me her memories, and how having a new baby in the house (me) was the one bright spot during that dark time! Elbert died when I was a teenager, so I am thankful for the memories of him that I carry in my heart. He was a good, gentle man and he could tell really long stories.


My Aunt Bethel recently told me about the nicknames Elbert would use for his children: Virgil's nickname was "Pete" and Bethel's nickname was "Wildcat". It is beyond my understanding why anyone with 14 children to name would also come up with nicknames for them!

At a family reunion a few years ago, I was chatting with a distant relative from an older generation. She told me how much fun they had at the reunions long ago, back when "Uncle Ebb and Aunt Mae were here". That really touched me! It sounds like I missed some good times. I think I need to get busy creating memories that my loved ones can hold onto after I'm gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment